CAHME serves the public by promoting, evaluating, and improving the quality of graduate healthcare management education in the United States and Canada. CAHME is an interdisciplinary group of educational, professional, clinical, and other health sector organizations devoted to quality improvement of education for healthcare management and administration professionals. CAHME accreditation establishes the standard of measurement of graduate healthcare management education for the world community.
CAHME is the only organization recognized to grant accreditation to individual academic programs
offering a professional master's degree in healthcare management education and is recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation. CAHME Accreditation is the benchmark for students and employers alike that ensure the integrity of healthcare management education. CAHME is also a member of the Association of Specialized & Professional Accreditors (ASPA)
and adheres to the ASPA Code of Good Practice
Please visit the CAHME Resources
page to learn more about CAHME's corporate bylaws and handbook of policies and procedures.
Students: entering CAHME accredited programs are assured of appropriate content, high standards of quality and membership in a network of professional colleagues that transcends boundaries of universities and professional associations.
- Employers: CAHME actively promotes continuous quality improvement in the preparation of future healthcare leaders by developing measurable, mission driven competency-based criteria in partnership with practitioners for excellence in healthcare management education. Employers understand that CAHME accredited program graduates are skilled, competent and ready to lead.
- Council on Higher Education Accreditation: serves students and their families, colleges and universities, sponsoring bodies, governments, and employers by promoting academic quality through formal recognition of higher education accreditation bodies and coordinates and works to advance self-regulation through accreditation.
- Association of Specialized and Professional Accreditors: (ASPA) represents the interests of the specialized and professional accreditation community to higher education and government. Sets standards through a "Code of Good Practice" for accreditors.
CAHME's Foundational Principles
CAHME’s governance and management structure is tailored specifically for its special mission. Our policy framework fosters effective conduct of the evaluative and accrediting processes. This governance, management and policy structure springs from and fosters the major principles upon which CAHME is founded:
- Conduct of accreditation processes that are fair, equitable, ethical, and professional in every way.
- Provision of reliable, meaningful, and timely information to universities, students, prospective students, parents, alumni, employers, and the public in general on the quality of career preparation and/or career enhancement in healthcare management.
- Setting standards for quality in academic healthcare management education that are meticulously developed, rigorous, and highly relevant to the actual performance of healthcare managers, executives, and leaders.
- Involvement of qualified academicians and practitioners pervasively throughout the accreditation functions in an equal and balanced fashion.
- Adherence to the fundamental premise of volunteerism and collegiality in the conduct of accreditation processes so as to avoid punitive practices and foster enlightened self-improvement while always holding to the mark of excellence in educational quality.
- Insuring the integrity of the accreditation processes and actions through structural safeguards of governance, policy, and management that assure independent and professional judgment in measuring educational quality.
Recognized by the CHEA, CAHME is the resource for the healthcare field in setting, measuring, and authoritatively attesting to the quality of academic education in healthcare management. CAHME bears a major responsibility to the field and the community it serves.
Additional Information about CAHME Accreditation can be found here